10.18.2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Almond Cookies

Fact: Chocolate Chip Cookie is my kryptonite

Fact: I am a super hero of no kind

However these cookies with the nuttiness of the Whole Wheat and the light crunch of the almonds make me want to leap over things and rescue dogs.

This is the only cookie that I can never ever get right, usually we have chocolate chip balls since they never wanted to spread, yet that is my favorite cookie. When I make them I usually make a peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, that will be sure to appear here a thousand times.

I'm totally convinced that these are super food cookies, so eating 4 is good for me right? Right?

This is by far my favorite recipe and the only one that I use. You can use this as a base for all other cookies just just make simple swaps like the chocolate and almonds.

Now I'm off to find those dogs..



Ingredients

  • 3 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 cup packed organic dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup organic granulated sugar
  • 2 large organic eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped into 1/4- and 1/2-inch pieces or morsels of your choice
  • 1 cup of slivered almonds

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (you can use one to bake the cookies and the other to freeze the cookies).
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl, adding any large bits of grain or other ingredients that remain in the sifter.
  3. Combine the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer; beat on low speed for abou 2 minutes, until just blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition, then add the vanilla extract.
  4. Add the flour mixture and beat until barely combined. Stop to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed just until evenly distributed.
  5. Now pick up tablespoon sized chunks with "rough" edges to get a more textured cookie, or roll them out into tablespoon sized balls and press down gently. 
  6. If you freeze the others, leave them on the sheet in the freezer until frozen and then pluck them into a freezer bag. They’ll keep that way for a month or two. If they last that long.

Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies
  • Always spoon your flour into the measuring cup, if you ram the measuring spoon into the flour your probably picking up more flour than intended. 
  • The colder the dough the better the cookie. For this recipe I used cold butter instead of softened, since I didn't want to refrigerate the dough. For an even better cookie after you assemble everything place the dough in the fridge for a day or two and then bake for a thicker and tastier cookie!
  • Usually cookies take a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I for one think the more the better, so feel free to double(for the recipe the vanilla is already doubled) 
  • I only use organic sugars and bakers quality flour's, these are usually minimally processed and the best thing for your body.

XOXO
Faith

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of putting almonds in the cookies! Mmmmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL to the "leap over things and rescue dogs". XD

    @Naeemyah: I don't like nuts! Don't you dare touch my cookies! XD

    ReplyDelete